Sunday, June 6, 2010

For the love of spelling...

Spelling, it's what makes the world go round. Without spelling we'd be barbarians (Yeah, spellings the only thing keeping us above barbarians...). So it's no wonder we televise this event so that the world (Or nobody) can sit down and watch a group of kids (Nerds) rattle off a bunch of letters, that when compiled form words (Spelling!). This years Scribbs National Spelling Bee was won by an Indian-American (Thank you Associated Press for working to overcome racism by dividing people into their respective ethnic groups). Now to win, this girl with a different skin color than my own, and a funny name, had to spell the word "Stromuhr" (Why we have words like "stromuhr," I'll never know). Accomplishing all this while keeping her poker face on (Because in the spelling bee, you never want to tip your hand to your opponents...). So here's to spelling bee winner Anamika Veeramani (See, funny name), get a life.

Russ VanAllen
I'm kwite profishent at spelling

1 comment:

  1. Uh, Russ, that's Scripps. With two p's.

    I like spelling. I don't patronize stores that have misspelling in their signs. It's a sign (pun intended) that they don't really pay attention to details - they're probably trying to sell me outdated milk.
    I'm a little more tolerant on the web, where flying fingers are forced to frantically translate electrical impulses from the brain.
    But for printed material that has ample opportunity for proofreading, I give no quarter.

    My favorite gaffe? My nephew was graduating from a very highly-regarded private high school in the Detroit area. There was a very fancy program, featuring all the grads' names and accomplishments, etc. I can't remember the exact context, but somewhere in there they congratulated the graduates on receiving their
    "dilpoma".

    I immediately told my sister-in-law to ask for a rebate on my nephew's tuition.

    Larry Melton

    ReplyDelete